Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense(BMD)
WILLCOR performs a full range of systems engineering and
integration functions for the Aegis BMD System. Selected examples
Test & Evaluation (T&E) Radar
- Conducted PMRF ROSA Radar preliminary design readiness
and maturity, Configuration Management, and contract document
review. Provided report and recommendations.
- Facilitated Failure Reporting & Corrective Action
Systems (FRACAS) and failure analyses to identify root causes
of problems and avoid reoccurrence. Enhanced FRACAS helped
the program overall to better identify:
- Design readiness and maturity
- Design acceptability and requirements fulfillment
- Manufacturing acceptability, including that of vendors
- Supply chain maturity
- Integration effectiveness
- Human factors and usability
- Reliability and maintainability
- Dependencies on other programs or systems
- Earlier indications of risks, false assumptions and problems
- Program progress and ability to meet cost, performance
and schedule requirements
- Strengthened Configuration Management and Quality Assurance
processes, since these contribute to test results and the
ability to evaluate the program
- Expanded application of available cost effective architectures
(including open architecture)
- Performed Systems Analysis to understand the risk associated
with various contractor teams and suppliers. These analyses
include facilities capabilities studies, design processes
review, and risk assessments
Technical Writing and Office Processes
- Provide Technical Writing support
- Develop and implement writing processes
- Establish style guide and provide training
- Formulate and frame thoughts into structured, concise,
and clear written document
- Edit drafts into structured, concise, and clear documents
- Develop and implement workflow process for document creation
- Develop style guides / formats for “white paper”
- Follow established Navy / Missile Defense Agency formats
for documents such as official Memoranda
- Serve as “Point Person” for all technical
writing / editing needs, as directed by Program Directorate
- Provide writing training
Ship Installation Management
- Build a Process Based Risk Model using TRIMS software.
The model included that myriad of activities associated
with the Fleet introduction of LRS&T and accomplished
by over 18 Government offices and private company divisions.
- Monitored and progressed the Fleet Introduction Risk
model producing a report to support the PD 452 OPS Center
and weekly briefs to RADM Paige.
Program Management Infrastructure Support
Provide program management support to Program Directorate/Office
and provide program office communication enhancements.
STANDARD Missile-3 (SM-3)
Provide technical expertise in current industry developments
(e.g. lead-free issues), Best Practices and cutting edge processes
potentially applicable to SM-3. Participate in military and
industry technical conferences and interaction with various
professional working groups/committees. Act as interface with
MDA (SE) and (QS). Serve as a member of the Missile Review
Team in preparing for Block IA Critical Design Review (CDR).
Serve as a member of the Navy-Contractor Technology Development
Risk Review Boards (RRB). Serve as the government Quality
lead on the Hardware IPT. Represent SM-3 in the CALCE Tin
Whiskers Group as it develops means to mitigate the tin whisker
risk associated with industry transition to lead-free products.
Work closely with the TECHREP-led transition to production
organization and Raytheon counterparts to identify, understand,
and resolve issues relevant to transitioning SM-3 into Initial
Defensive Rounds (IDR) and beyond. Provide BMP insight and
expertise to assist planning, developing and implementing
sound processes throughout the SM-3 production community.
Mission Assurance & Safety (MA&S)
- Ensure mission success through development and implementation
of Directorate level policy that enables contractual obligation.
- Effect end product improvements.
- Foster common MA&S goals with effective collaboration
between Program Office, contractors, and Government TECHREPS.
- Provide concise, predictive information, analysis and
assessment to program leadership (Government and Contractor).
- Provide comprehensive, independent systems engineering
based expertise and advocate systems engineering process
- Leverage Directorate level policy and industry experience
to influence contractual requirements (product and system
- Provide comprehensive, independent systems engineering
based expertise including Risk Management, Configuration
Management, Supplier Management, FRACAS, Software quality/certification,
Parts selection, DMSMS, and SOP development.
- Leverage established BMPCOE experience and relationships
to foster common MA&S goals with effective collaboration
between Program Office, contractors, and Government TECHREPS
(e.g., B31, B32, B4, B5, B6, Raytheon, LM).
- Ensure current initiatives (e.g., MDA, NAVSEA, NASA,
Industry) are known and considered within PD452 team. Provide
collaboration and liaison.
- Provide direct assistance to MA&S Government leadership
in preparation for reviews.
- Establish sound execution criteria (e.g., metrics, gates,
- Analyze programmatic events (e.g., trends, indicators,
- Promote seamless team functioning (e.g., application
of web-based Integrated digital Environment, WWW.PD452.BMPCOE.ORG).
- Other initiatives and tasks as directed by MA&S leadership.
Integration and Collaborative Work Environments (CWEs)
Effect Systems Integration of existing CWEs. Support the
Aegis BMD Test and Evaluation Branch focusing on reliability
and maintainability, Configuration Management, and system
integration. Contribute to radar reliability and maintainability
growth initiatives, analyzed and identified critical FM-3
and FM-5 radar architecture items, and crafted a number of
candidate Best Practices solutions for implementation.