EHF/SHF SatCom Transceivers Reliability Assessment
Satellite communications is a critical link in U.S. defenses. Reliability and maintainability of these programs is important to both a cost effective system and readiness.
Accordingly, PEO C4I requested the support of the Best Manufacturing Practices Center of Excellence (BMPCOE/WILLCOR) to provide an independent assessment to identify the reliability and maintainability issues associated with the hardware development and deployment strategy.
The work effort in support of the EHF and SHF Programs included meetings and discussions with members of the following organizations: the Prime contractors and their subs., DCMA-IASO offices, PEO-C3T, PEO C4I and Space, and PMO 170. This effort also encompassed presentations by contractors and subcontractors as well as tours of their facilities. The principal efforts were directed to analyses of the following:
- Existing contractual arrangements
- Adequacy and thoroughness of documentation and technical data package
- Reliability and maintainability data and data collection methods
- Reliability predictions and actual reliability in the field
- "Root cause" assessment of reliability issues in the EHF/SHF system/design (e.g., fabrication, parts obsolescence, quality control).
- Reporting methods and time frames
- Quality data collection and testing of the systems prior to delivery to the fleet